We have been talking about skin care routine, skin care tips, skin care products etc. But do you know educating you with all these self care terms won’t make any changeas long as you don’t use them as per your skin type? Skin care is not like ‘one rule fits all’ because every type of skin reacts differently to different ingredients.
Therefore, you need to follow a specific care routine and skin care products, specifically crafted for your skin type. What suits one person does not necessarily suit you as well. So, before you stock up your skin care shelf with skin care products and follow a skin care routine for morning and night, identify your skin type and embrace a skincareroutine accordingly.
Also Read – Korean Skin Care Trend
What are the different types of skin?
1. Normal Skin
Normal skin is all’s favorite sin type. It has a balanced Ph level, sebum production and blood circulation. This type of skin is a perfect combination of dry skin and oily skin.
2. Oily Skin
Oily skin produces too much sebum, resulting in a greasy and sticky appearance. This type of skin is more prone to attract dust, dirt and bacteria, that cause acne breakouts.
3. Dry Skin
Dry skin is characterized as rough, flaky and cracked skin. This type of skin often feels tight that causes redness, itchiness and irritation.
4. Combination Skin
This skin type is a mix of dry skin and oily skin. This type of skin feels dry at some areas and oily at others. Often cheeks are dry and the T zone is oily.
5. Sensitive Skin
Sensitive skin reacts to almost everything, particularly spicy foods and cosmetic beauty products. Using natural skin care products can be the best solution to address sensitive skin problems.
How to know what skin type you have?
Knowing your skin type is not so intimidating. Just follow the below steps and you will know your skin type to buy the best skin care products in 2022 and plan a skincare routine accordingly.
- Take a blotting sheet.
- Tap it on your face.
- Hold the paper against the light.
- If the paper picks up some oil from every area of your face, you have an oily skin type.
- If the paper picks oil just from the T zone, your skin type is normal or combination.
- And if the sheet picks little to no oil, you are dealing with dry skin issues.
A quick comparison chart to understand your skin type:
|Characteristics of Normal Skin||Characteristics of Oily Skin||Characteristics of Dry Skin||Characteristics of Combination Skin||Characteristics of Sensitive Skin|
|Smooth texture||Greasy and sticky look||Uneven skin texture||Dry cheeks and oily T-zone||Uneven skin texture|
|No sensitivity||Open and large pores||Flaky and rough skin||Breakouts on chin, nose, and forehead.||Skin feels itchy|
|Fine pores||Prone to breakouts||Itching and irritation||Sensitive cheeks||Reacts to cosmetics and skincare products|
|No blemishes||Blackheads||Skin feels tight||Shiny skin||Gets red after a hot shower|
|Radiant complexion||Blemishes||Less elasticity in the skin||Large open pores||Reacts to spicy food|
|Fewer or no breakouts||Occasional or persistent pimples.||More visible lines||Sensitive to sun damage||Feels itchy when wearing tight clothes|
1. Skin Care Routine for Normal Skin:
Just tell me if you are not diabetic, would you opt for insulin? No! Right? Then why bother witha multi-step skin care routine. However, it does not mean that you will simply avoid the basic steps of skin care, and binge on sugary beverages, and junk foods every night. Skin care routine for normal skin is as simple as staying healthy, hydrated and hygienic by following a basic care regimen.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water.
- Cleanse your skin to kick off dust, dirt, and bacteria.
- Moisturize your skin regularly.
- Wear sunscreen whenever you head out in the sun.
- Remove makeup before going to bed.
- Double cleanse your face before sleeping.
Skin Care Tips For Normal Skin:
Even if you are blessed with normal skin, don’t put your skincare routine on the back burner. Just pick the right skin care products and use them methodically without a failure to maintain a healthy glow longer.
2. Skin Care Routine for Oily Skin:
Oily skin faces a lot of skin concerns like acne, blackheads and a lot more, but do you know people with oily skin enjoy getting youthful skin longer than other skin types? The ageing signs don’t easily appear on oily skin. So, instead of taking oily skin as a curse, take it as a boon. Just follow the proper skin care routine for night and morning separately to get rid of all the skin problems and enjoy a healthier glow.
- Cleanse your face more frequently than other skin types but don’t overdo it. Cleansing methodically will help remove accumulated dirt and bacteria that can result in clogging pores and making skin sensitive.
- Even if you have oily skin, don’t eliminate moisturizer from your daily skincare routine. Find the right moisturizer as per your skin type and use it regularly. Look for the term “non-comedogenic” when buying any skin care products 2022 for oily skin.
- Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated and keep your skin moist. Drinking a minimum of 8 glasses of water is highly recommended.
- Don’t sleep with your makeup on. Always remove your makeup before you go to bed.
- When buying makeup or beauty products, make sure to choose only natural skin care products and stay away from using chemical-laden cosmetics.
Skin Care Tips For Oily Skin:
Don’t touch your skin so frequently as it can aggregate acne breakouts.
3. Skin Care Routine For Dry Skin:
Dry skin needs a little more love and care than other skin types. If you don’t treat your dry skin with proper skin care products and follow a specific skincare routine, you are most likely to experience a flaky and damaged appearance. To ease your process to plan skincare steps for dry skin, here are the dermatologist recommended skin care routine.
- Buy the best skin care products 2022 to cleanse and care for your skin.
- Take short showers and don’t wash your skin so frequently.
- Pat dry your skin to soak up some moisture. Avoid rubbing or scrubbing your skin.
- Moisturize your skin liberally right after you bathe. Reapply the moisturizer after every 2-3 hours or whenever your skin feels dry.
- Keep your skin hydrated from within by drinking plenty of water.
- Don’t skip wearing sunscreen. Find one as per your skin type. Skin experts advise using Cetaphil sunscreen for dry skin.
- Keep a humidifier in your room to retain the natural moisture of your skin.
- Wear good quality gloves when using cleaning agents or other household detergents.
Skin Care Tips For Dry Skin:
Often the harsh chemicals present in cosmetics, makeup and other skin care products can cause dryness, making your skin more prone to damage. So, make sure to use only gentle and mild beauty products to avoid irritants.
4. Skin Care Routine for Combination Skin:
Since combination is a mix of oily skin and dry skin types, it deals with more skin concerns than other types of skin. It tends to be sensitive to sun damage and gets oilier too soon. Hence, you need to follow a specific skin careformula for combination skin.
- Use a gentle cleanser to clean your body because harsh beauty products may clog pores on your face.
- Exfoliate but not daily. Exfoliating too often can steal natural oil from your skin, leaving it rough, dry and irritated. So, exfoliate once in a while and avoid scrubbing your T zone.
- Like any other skin type, your combination skin also needs daily moisturization. So, don’t skip moisturizer.
- Sunscreen is an essential skin care product for all types of skin. For combination skin, you should use an oil-free formula.
- Whether it is skincare, beauty, or makeup products, use only oil-free, fragrance-free and chemical-freeformulas to soothe and smooth your skin.
Skin Care Tips for Combination Skin:
Since combination skin is a mix of oily skin and dry skin, follow two separate skin care routines for the best result. It is so because the requirements of both oily skin and dry skin are different, how can a person with combination skin have a single formula? Usetwo different types of skincare products for your T-zone and the rest of your face.
5. Skin Care Routine For Sensitive Skin:
People with sensitive skin are more prone to getting infections and allergic reactions to almost everything like spice, heat, sun, cosmetics and so on. Thus, sensitive skin requires extra TLC (Tender Loving Care) than other skin types.
- The skin care steps for sensitive skin are similar to the other skin types – cleanse, moisture, and wear sunscreen. But whatever step you do, start with a gentle and chemical free product.
- Buy the products that are specifically formulated with skin friendly ingredients that have calming and soothing properties.
- Avoid taking hot showers as it can make your sensitive skin feel itchy and irritated by stripping off the essential oils.
- Go for the “hypoallergenic” term labelled at the beauty or skin care products you use.
Skin Care Tips for Sensitive Skin:
Since sensitive skin tends to react to anything, you should do a patch test on your hand first before adding any product to your daily skin care or beauty routine. If your skin does not react to the patch test within 24 hours, just go for it.
10 Best Skin Care Tips for All Types of Skin
No matter what your skin type is, there are some specific skin care tips that anyone can add to their daily skin care routine.
- Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen to stay protected against harmful UVA and UVB rays.
- Wear sun protective clothing, sunglasses, hats etc. when you come in contact with direct sunlight.
- Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated from within.
- Don’t skip moisturizer whatever type of skin you have.
- Avoid using too much makeup and chemical-based products.
- Practice hygiene and other healthy habits.
- Avoid taking too much sugar, junk foods, and spicy foods.
- Prefer to have green vegetables, fresh fruits and nutritious diet.
- Do regular workouts for healthy skin to glam up from within.
- Don’t sleep with your makeup on.
Knowing your skin type is essential to following a proper skin care routine and using the right skin care products. Once you know your skin type, it would be easier to address your skin concerns like acne, scars, pores blackheads, blemishes, aging signs etc. So, follow a proper skin care regimen for that insta worthy skin. Still in doubt? Consult your skin specialist and follow a dermatologist recommended skin care routine.